This large brick building, which stood on the corner of Lambton Quay and Bunny Street in Wellington, was completed in 1888. Its size suggests how important the office had become by that time. Under George Didsbury, government printer from 1865 to 1893, the office had become firmly established following the capital's move to Wellington. By the 1890s there were 14 printing machines at work, and the office was printing very large jobs such as the Hansard record of parliamentary debates, the Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives, the New Zealand Gazette, government acts and regulations, and publications such as the Transactions of the New Zealand Institute.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.