This painting of the Ōmata stockade was completed several years after it was the catalyst for one of the first major incidents of the Taranaki wars. The stockade was a few kilometres south-west of New Plymouth and served to protect local settler families. In March 1860 Ngāti Ruanui began to advance towards New Plymouth and built a pā, Kaipopo, overlooking the stockade. Lieutenant Colonel Charles Gold sent a force to relieve the stockade and attack the new pā, which was eventually captured, probably after its abandonment by Māori.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.