This is an 1875 elevation drawing of Wellington's neoclassical-style Government Buildings by its architect, William Clayton. It was erected the following year in wood fashioned to look like stone. The four-storey building became an immediate landmark, and the claim that it was the largest wooden building in the world became a Wellington refrain. Historians suggest it is actually the largest wooden office building. It initially housed all the government executive – ministers and their departments – but within a few years the executive had outgrown the building and new space was required. In 1996 it became Victoria University of Wellington's law school.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.