Māori worshippers and canoes arrive at the Wesleyan (Methodist) mission station at Whāingaroa (later renamed Raglan) in this 1850s lithograph, which depicts a scene from 1840. This mission station was founded by the Reverend James Wallis in 1839 on the south side of the harbour, and he and his wife remained there until 1863.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment