Stacks of Bibles are distributed to eager readers in 1842, in the shadow of Mt Taranaki (Egmont). As soon as Māori learned – mostly from missionaries – to read and write, they were willing to pay high prices for reading matter. Bibles and other religious writings were almost the only printed material in Māori available. This hand-coloured lithograph shows baskets of food ready to be exchanged for copies of the New Testament donated by the British and Foreign Bible Society.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.