When the Canterbury Association’s first settlers arrived in Canterbury at the end of 1850, they found the preparations included a jetty – to which they were ferried from the ships anchored in the harbour – and an immigration barracks. But the Sumner Road (left background) was not finished, and settlers had to walk over the Bridle Path (foreground) to reach Christchurch.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Ink on blue laid paper by William Fox
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment