Fenced potato plantations grow at the top right of this Māori pā, drawn around 1845 by Cyprian Bridge. Potato gardens quickly became a very common sight near Māori villages in the 19th century. This may have been Tāmati Wāka Nene’s pā at Ōkaihau in Northland.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.