In 1865 the Tāmaki River was bridged at Panmure, improving access between Auckland and Howick. The bridge was 176 metres long and 6 metres wide, made with stones from Melbourne and iron from Sydney. This painting by W. S. Hatton was probably copied from an engraving published in the Illustrated London News in 1867. Hatton dated his work 1859 – six years before the bridge was built!
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Watercolour by W. S. Hatton
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment