Before 1840 the main areas of contact between Māori and Europeans were at opposite ends of the country. Sealers and whalers frequented the shores of Foveaux Strait, in the south. They also called in, for rest and recreation and for supplies, to the Bay of Islands in Northland. There, Kororāreka (now Russell) developed as New Zealand’s first, rough and ready, European town. In the foreground of this view of Kororāreka and its beach are the figures of a European and two Māori.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.