Story: Te Āti Awa of Wellington

Pipitea pā, 1842

Pipitea pā, 1842

Pipitea was located on the shores of Wellington Harbour where Thorndon Quay and the present-day Pipitea marae are now situated. Built by Ngāti Mutunga, after 1835 it was occupied by Te Āti Awa and was surrounded by cultivations.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0011-04
Hand-coloured lithograph by William Mein Smith

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Morris Love, 'Te Āti Awa of Wellington - After 1840', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/1293/pipitea-pa-1842 (accessed 18 October 2019)

Story by Morris Love, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 3 Mar 2017