Story: Wairarapa places

Burling’s house

Burling’s house

Featherston was built on the site of Burlings, named after Henry Burling. He ran the first accommodation house in the area, depicted by George Swainson in 1850.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-188-057
Pencil and ink drawing by George Frederic Swainson

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Wairarapa places - Featherston', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/12033/burlings-house (accessed 20 March 2019)

Story by Ben Schrader, updated 11 Jun 2015