The Church has always carried out a vigorous work among the Maoris both in the pastoral and educational sphere, the foundation for this having been laid by Henry and William Williams. In many parts of New Zealand there are separate Maori churches in approximately 38 native pastorates with Maori pastors approximately 26 in number; but there is nevertheless integration so that there have been cases where Maori clergymen have been appointed vicars of parishes. Most of the dioceses have special Maori mission funds, but the Maoris themselves raise considerable sums of money for the support of their own churches. There are three Church secondary schools for Maori girls (Queen Victoria School, Auckland; Hukarere School, Napier; and Te Wai Pounamu College, Christchurch) and two secondary schools for Maori boys (St. Stephen's School, Bombay; and Te Aute College, Pukehou), the total roll numbers being approximately 400. In many instances scholarships are provided.
A member of the Maori race is appointed by the bishops of the dioceses of the North Island as Bishop of Aotearoa and he is suffragan bishop to the Bishop of Waiapu, in whose diocese the greatest number of Maoris live. Bishops of other dioceses may also give the Bishop of Aotearoa episcopal supervision of members of the Maori race in their own dioceses. The first Bishop of Aotearoa (The Right Rev. F. A. Bennett) was consecrated in 1928 and died in 1950. The Right Rev. W. N. Panapa succeeded him in 1951. In 1964 the General Synod amended the Church Canon to give the Maori people direct representation at its deliberations.