Canterbury Society of Arts
Founded in 1880, the Canterbury Society of Arts has its own gallery and offices in Armagh and Durham Streets. The society maintains an active programme, and the spacious gallery is used not only for the society's regular exhibitions but also for group shows, retrospective exhibitions, for loan collections, and other projects organised by the Council. The presence of the Canterbury University School of Art ensures a lively contribution from younger artists, while the recognised status of the society attracts important contributions from other centres.
When the Robert McDougall Gallery was established in 1932, the Canterbury Society handed over its Art collection to the gallery and has continued to make gifts. The Governor-General is the traditional patron of the society, the officers being a president, five vice-presidents, eight council members, honorary treasurer and auditor, and a secretary to whom much of the routine administration is entrusted.