Skip to main content
Browse the 1966 Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
Graphic: An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand 1966.


This information was published in 1966 in An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, edited by A. H. McLintock. It has not been corrected and will not be updated.

Up-to-date information can be found elsewhere in Te Ara.



Auckland Society of Arts

The Auckland Society of Arts occupies a two-storey building at 4 Eden Crescent, which provides roughly 600 running feet of exhibition space in its several galleries. There is a spacious members' lounge, library, and artists' studios. The building itself is interesting, having been built in kauri in 1898 on the site of Bishop Selwyn's School and Home for Ministers. The history of the society goes back to 1869 when a group of people formed themselves into the Auckland Society of Artists. The title, The Auckland Society of Arts, dates from 1880.

The society is administered by a president and an administrative council of 12, the staff consisting of a secretary-treasurer. About 14 exhibitions are staged each year, four regular society exhibitions, eight one-member exhibitions, and two special exhibitions. Average sales on behalf of artists amount to £1,500. The society maintains a permanent collection.