Waikato Society of Arts
The Waikato Society of Arts came into being as the result of a meeting called in Hamilton in 1934. In 1941 a building was presented to the city by Mrs Allen Bell to be used as an art gallery and/or museum, and this is administered by the society. A paid official acts as custodian, secretary, and treasurer.
Income is provided from members' subscriptions and gallery rentals. There are two permanent collections, one owned by the City Council, who make a grant for acquisitions, and one purchased by the Society. Two members' exhibitions are held annually and loan collections are shown regularly.