Geyser Valley was a spectacular attraction in the first part of the 20th century, as this 1908 map indicates, with tourists making regular trips to see the great Wairākei Geyser and Champagne Pool. These suffered as soon as the Wairākei power station began tapping underground fluids in 1958. Other springs soon disappeared, and by 2005 all that remained was steaming ground, renamed the Craters of the Moon.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.