New Zealand's pavilion can be seen on the far left of this map of the British Empire Exhibition, which was held at Wembley, London, over the summer of 1924. Beside the New Zealand pavilion, marked with a 'G', is the location of Mataatua, a Ngāti Awa wharenui (meeting house). Mataatua had first been taken abroad to the Sydney Exhibition of 1879, and was later taken to London and, after years of storage, was re-erected at Wembley, where King George V and Queen Mary visited it. Later the wharenui was returned to Dunedin to be displayed at the New Zealand and South Seas International Exhibition of 1925–26. At the British Empire Exhibition, New Zealand promoted its farm products – butter, cheese and meat – to the British market. The exhibition was so successful that it was extended for another summer season in 1925.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment