This elevation plan shows the western face of the University of Otago building, designed by Maxwell Bury and opened in 1879. The building was erected in the Scottish baronial (Gothic) style and included a striking turreted clock tower that is reminiscent of Charles Barry's Queen Elizabeth tower at the British Parliament. Bury's plan was not totally realised. The southern gabled portion, intended as a chapel, was not built. This end was completed to a new, but sympathetic, design by architect Edmund Anscombe in 1914. The building is known as the Clock Tower Building and in 2014 housed the university registry.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Ink and watercolour by Maxwell Bury
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.