Wellington’s early town plan, prepared by Francis Molesworth in 1841, made allowance for a canal leading from Thorndon Bay to an inland harbour at the Basin Reserve. This was abandoned after the 1855 earthquake lifted up the land. The Basin Reserve is now a cricket ground.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.