New Zealand's first purpose-built theatre was erected behind the Ship Hotel in Wellington's Manners Street - the two storey building with the hipped roof. Called the Royal Victoria Theatre (and later the Royal Olympic Theatre), it was a plain rectangular building with a gabled roof, a few windows along its side, and a street entrance beside the hotel. It measured about 14 metres by 9 metres. Little is known of its interior other than that it had stall seating and a commodious dress gallery. It was also brightly lit by whale oil, a Wellington first. This lithograph shows the building about 1857.
Using this item
University of Waikato
Reference: Illustrated London News, 9 April 1859, p. 357
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.