Story: Historic places

Strengthening Rangiātea Church

This is Wellington architect Frederick de Jersey Clere's 1890 plan for strengthening Rangiātea Church at Ōtaki, which was originally built in 1851. It included new foundations that were braced to the walls, new pillar supports and the construction of 12 buttresses to strengthen the walls. Further repairs were carried out in 1910, when rotten timbers were replaced.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: Plans-80-0995
Plans by Frederick de Jersey Clere

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Historic places - Historical awakenings, 1900s to 1920s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/42124/strengthening-rangiatea-church (accessed 23 September 2021)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 22 Oct 2014, updated 19 Aug 2016