These charts, published in 1823, record the first maps and original names of the Auckland and Campbell islands. The top one, showing Lord Auckland’s group, bears witness to the islands’ discovery by Abraham Bristow, who called them after his father’s friend. The bottom map gives the date of discovery of Campbell’s Island as 1810. The first landing was on 4 January 1810, but Frederick Hasselburg had seen the islands in late December 1809.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl-q100aj 1774-1823 800 v. 5, p. 84
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.