In 1906 the Plunket Shield was presented by William Plunket, 5th Baron Plunket, governor of New Zealand, for cricket competition between the provinces. Originally it was contested on a challenge basis, which is why the inscription on the shield describes it as 'Plunket Challenge Shield'. However, in 1921 the competition became a round robin. In 1975 the Plunket Shield was replaced by the Shell Trophy, but a change in sponsorship led to the Plunket Shield being restored in 2009.
Using this item
Private collection, Don Neely
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.