Religious leaders and pacifists Te Whiti-o-Rongomai and Tohu Kākahi built up a pan-tribal community at Parihaka in Taranaki in the late 19th century. Much of the village was destroyed by a large military force in 1881, and Te Whiti, Tohu and other leaders were imprisoned. They later returned to Parihaka and rebuilt the community. This photo shows Te Whiti's son-in-law Taare Waitara with a class of children in the early 20th century. Many wear or display a white feather symbolising non-violence.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.