Much of the King Country region was covered with forest prior to European settlement. Because of this, Māori referred to it as Te Nehe-nehe-nui, the great forest. This is the junction of the Whanganui and Ongaruhe rivers, photographed by Alfred Burton in 1885.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.