This is the writing of Pūrākau Maika at Kehemane (Tākitimu meeting house) on 12 May 1904. 'Te Komiti o Tupai' is named after the Wairarapa ancestor, Tupai, a tohunga on the Takitimu canoe who disembarked at Wairarapa and established a whare wānanga. The role of the 'Komiti o Tupai' was to try to record traditional teachings of the whare wānanga as transmitted by Te Mātorohanga and Nēpia Pōhūhū, two renowned Wairarapa tohunga.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.