Story: Hauraki–Coromandel region

Waka head

This carved male head with moko (facial tattoos), seen here in front and side views, is from the prow of a waka (canoe). The waka was built by Ngāti Maru as part of their response to the slaughter carried out by the musket-armed warriors of Ngāpuhi at Tōtara , near present-day Thames, in 1822.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-274-026

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Monin, 'Hauraki–Coromandel region - Māori and European: 1769 to 1840', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/30401/waka-head (accessed 29 May 2020)

Story by Paul Monin, updated 1 Apr 2016