Rangihoua (written as Ranghe Hue in Augustus Earle's watercolour), in the Bay of Islands, was a significant place of early contact between Māori and European. Samuel Marsden and his fellow missionaries based themselves there when they first arrived in 1814. They were given protection by the Ngāpuhi chief Ruatara. Ruatara had first met Marsden in 1809, and had lived with him at Parramatta, west of Sydney, for eight months learning Western techniques of agriculture. In welcoming the missionaries Ruatara also encouraged the planting of European crops such as wheat, and the introduction of farm animals. Ruatara thus became for early Europeans a prime example of the ability of Māori to become 'civilised'.
Using this item
National Library of Australia
Permission of the National Library of Australia must be obtained before any re-use of this image.