Zoom in to read details of this plan of the ground floor of Wellington's Mount View Asylum. The 'E' shape layout of male and female wings, corridors of single rooms and a central services block was typical of early New Zealand asylums. Mount View opened in 1873 on the site above the Basin Reserve now occupied by Government House. It replaced the original Karori Asylum, and by 1905 held 250 patients – its maximum capacity. These patients were progressively transferred to Porirua and other larger and newer asylums, and Mount View closed in 1910.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives, H-8, 1877, p. 28
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.