The first Māori unions within the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) were formed in 1894. Their membership often overlapped with that of Ngā Kōmiti Wahine, tribally based women’s committees associated with Te Paremata, the Māori parliament. Both Ngā Kōmiti and the WCTU sought a reduction in alcohol use, so their purpose as well as their membership overlapped. Although Māori women’s interest in the WCTU had passed its peak by 1911, when this photograph of the South Island branch was taken, there were still 44 Māori branches operating.
Using this item
Canterbury Museum, Bishop Collection
Reference: Canterbury Times, 2 December 1908, p.46 (1923.53.680)
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.