Story: Investment

Opening of Mōhaka viaduct, 1937

In the late 1930s the Labour government once more invested in public works, especially railways. An important project was the Napier–Gisborne line which required a massive viaduct to span the Mōhaka River. The span was 96 metres high and almost 278 metres long. This page from the New Zealand Railways Magazine shows crowds at the opening on 1 July 1937. At top left, Minister of Public Works Bob Semple drives in the last rivet.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: New Zealand Railways magazine 12, no. 5 (1937) (S-L 1081-22)

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Brent Layton, 'Investment - Private and public investment, 1890 to 1940', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/24116/opening-of-mohaka-viaduct-1937 (accessed 23 January 2022)

Story by Brent Layton, published 11 Mar 2010