In 1898 the Kelburne and Karori Tramway Company was set up to build a cable car, climbing from Lambton Quay to Upland Road. This was to provide easier access from the city to the new suburb of Kelburn, with a horse-drawn tram connecting the service to Karori. The cable car system was designed by James Fulton, and was a milestone in New Zealand engineering. As this 1899 cross-section shows, three tunnels and bridges were needed. The system rises 120 metres, and is 785 metres long.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.