From 1913 the Marine Department began to install automatic acetylene burners as the light source in lighthouses. These could be turned on and off by an automatic sun valve. However, people were required to replace the gas cylinders. This video clip shows men changing the cylinders of the light beacon at Jackson Reef lighthouse, off Cape Jackson in Cook Strait.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Pictorial Parade 138
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence