Pony clubs were initiated in New Zealand in 1944 by Dorothy Campbell from Heretaunga. They were based on the English Pony Club, which had existed since 1929 and initially New Zealand clubs were affiliated to it. By 1946 there were enough clubs in New Zealand to form the New Zealand Pony Clubs Association. The primary aim was to teach children horsemanship, and to encourage this a number of competitive sports and mounted games were devised. However, non-competitive events were also important. In the summer of 1953 members of various Bay of Plenty clubs trekked from their homes to a camp in Rotorua where they took part in sports and lessons. This clip shows them taking their ponies for a swim.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: New Zealand Mirror 21. National Flim Unit, 1953
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence