The war memorial meeting house at Nūhaka in northern Hawke's Bay is opened by Prime Minister Peter Fraser in 1949. The government provided a subsidy for Second World War memorials that were community amenities. Although most of these were local halls, meeting houses also qualified. However, they were limited to one for each tribal district unless the enlistments had been especially heavy – as in the Ngāti Porou region on the North Island's East Coast.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Weekly Review 420. National Film Unit, 1949
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence