Turi Carroll, a Ngāti Kahungunu leader in Wairoa, sold 688 hectares of the Carroll family station, Huramua, to the Native Department for use as a farming training centre for Māori soldiers returning home after the Second World War. Trainees awarded a farming certificate were able to enter ballots for farms of their own. The training centre was later divided into 14 farms, on which some of the trainees settled. This film clip from 1949 shows the trainees and families socialising.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand – Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Weekly Review 402. National Film Unit, 1949
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence