Smith’s in Christchurch was first established in 1894 and sold second-hand books from 1966. The historic building on Manchester Street had three storeys full of books, maps, sheet music, old photographs, postcards and engravings. In the sound clip from 2003 a customer explains the attraction of the shop. The building was substantially damaged in the February 2011 earthquake and was subsequently demolished. The bookshop reopened at the Tannery Emporium in Woolston.
Sound file from Radio New Zealand Mō Te Reo Irirangi o Aotearoa. Any re-use of this audio is a breach of copyright. To request a copy of the recording, contact Radio New Zealand Mō Te Reo Irirangi o Aotearoa (Spectrum (16/02/2003) - Smiths Bookshop...a never ending story).
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.