Pictured on Waitematā Harbour, the flagship of Auckland's classic yacht fleet, Waitangi, shows off its sleek black hull with gold scrolls. The last yacht of significance built by Robert Logan, Waitangi was launched in 1894. After winning its first race, the 1895 Wellington Anniversary Regatta, it was prominent in racing for the next decade. Waitangi was eventually sold to Australia, where it languished for some years before being restored by Melbourne enthusiasts in 1996 and returned to Auckland in 2002.
Using this item
Photograph by Evert Van Reenen
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.