A group of locals pose on the new Tane (later Ōpiki) suspension bridge in 1918. Second from left (holding a child) is the bridge builder Joseph Dawson. At far right (with arm on the bridge) is Ernest Henderson, the blacksmith at the Tane Mill who fashioned all the steel rods for the bridge. Elsie Henderson (centre) holds their child. The bridge simplified the task of getting Tane fibre across the Manawatū River to the railway station at Rangiotū.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.