Haumuri Bluff (earlier known as Amuri Bluff), south of Kaikōura, was an important fossil-collecting site in the 19th century. Geologist Alexander McKay camped near the coast during the summer of 1872–73 and again for several months in 1876, when he made a large collection of fossils, including reptile bones. Most of his collection was lost with the disappearance of the Matoaka, which sailed from Canterbury in May 1869.
Using this item
Photograph by Bruce Hayward
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.