A magnetic observatory was erected in the Christchurch Botanic Gardens in 1901 to assist Captain Robert Falcon Scott with his magnetic surveys in Antarctica. It operated from this site for a number of years and was often used by scientists visiting Antarctica for calibrating their instruments. The tents belonged to American scientists from the Carnegie Institute, who visited in 1914.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.