Story: Gold and gold mining

Gabriels Gully (2nd of 3)

Gabriels Gully

Taken in 1862, the year after Gabriel Read discovered gold, this photograph shows a moonscape of pitted earth. Miners dug down to 4 metres and raised up the gold-bearing gravels using devices called whips – a counterbalanced mānuka pole with a bucket on the end. The miners’ calico tents hug the sides of the hill away from the claims. It was Read’s discovery that led to the great Otago gold rushes of the 1860s.

About this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-096648; F
Photograph by Harry G. Gore

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Gold and gold mining - Otago', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/8604/gabriels-gully (accessed 18 November 2017)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 12 Jun 2006