Unveiled in 1925, the tower at Durie Hill is the official Wanganui County memorial to those who died in the First World War. It is constructed of cemented marine sandstone containing shell fragments (called shellrock) from a nearby quarry.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Alastair McLean
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.