Kinder House, at 2 Ayr Street, Parnell, Auckland, was built in 1856–57 by stonemason Benjamin Street, using lava collected from the foreshore of Rangitoto Island. The walls are of random rubble held together with mortar. The facings around the corners, doors and windows are of large squared blocks.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.