Story: Northland region

Meeting house, Waitangi

Meeting house, Waitangi

The Treaty of Waitangi between Māori chiefs of New Zealand and the British Crown was first signed on 6 February 1840. To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the treaty, a meeting house representing all the tribes of New Zealand was built in the grounds of the Treaty House at Waitangi. This photograph shows the rich carvings and woven panels inside the building.

Using this item

Destination Northland

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland region - Māori society: 1840–1900', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7597/meeting-house-waitangi (accessed 19 April 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015