The Rūnanga Miner's Hall, emblazoned with socialist slogans, was built in 1937 to replace the original 1908 hall, which had burned down. British miners brought to New Zealand a strong tradition of industrial unionism, and this quickly established itself, especially on the West Coast.
Using this item
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.