From 1916, a rail bridge across the Waikato River facilitated coal mining in the western hills. Mines at Pukemiro, Rotowaro, Glen Afton, Waikokowai, Renown and Glen Massey grew. Before the bridge, coal was shipped across the river by barge. This ceremony in 1911 marked the driving of the bridge's first pile.
Using this item
Waikato Coalfields Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.