After the burst of lighthouse construction in the last decades of the 19th century, the pace slowed. The final two towers were built at Baring Head (1935) and Cape Rēinga (1941). Both were constructed from concrete. Baring Head’s half-built tower, shown here, needs only the glass and metal lantern to be placed on top to reach its full height.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.