In 1916 the Canterbury (NZ) Aviation Company was established to train pilots for war service, and to promote military and commercial aviation. An airbase was built on the outskirts of Christchurch at Sockburn, where these instructors, pupils and ground crew hammed it up for the camera in 1917. In the background is a Caudron biplane used for training pilots.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.