The main centres’ harbour boards were big organisations. In 1904 the Auckland Harbour Board’s new engineer, W. H. Hamer, presented a comprehensive plan that guided port development for years to come. There were new ferry jetties (and the Ferry Building), and large new wharves served by rail lines and electric cranes. In this photograph of May 1905, workers from the Ferro-Concrete Company are working on the decking of Railway Wharf.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries – Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by Henry Winkelmann
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.